- The 2012 OUTDOOR competition will only accept luminaires that are in or near production and ready for specification. Emphasis will be on quality and practicality of the luminaire for real-world lighting applications in the commercial specification market.
- Entries for this competition are limited to luminaires intended for outdoor applications. Indoor applications will be evaluated in a separate NGL competition.
- Products must be primarily applicable to the commercial, institutional, or public sector. Products that would be appropriate exclusively in residential settings are outside the scope of the competition and should refer to the Lighting for Tomorrow (www.lightingfortomorrow.org) residential competition.
- White light, general illumination applications only will be evaluated. Entries must provide useful illumination for a task, space, or object. Holiday lights, light sculpture, lighted fabrics, lighted signs, color changing lights, and other products not designed for general illumination are outside the scope of the NGL competition.
- All entries must first register products through the LED Lighting Facts program (www.lightingfacts.com). The LED Lighting Facts label is not required. All documentation required for LED Lighting Facts registration (including lumen maintenance documentation) is required. If the entry is already LED Lighting Facts listed, the existing registration number can be entered on the online form. If a product has been listed without lumen maintenance data, the data can be entered on the Lighting Facts website and re-submitted. Solar products are exempt from the Lighting Facts requirement but documentation must be submitted directly to NGL through the final entry process. The Lighting Facts requirement is intended to streamline the process and eliminate duplicate documentation requirements across DOE programs. If you have issues or questions, feel free to contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is no fee to enter the competition.
Judging Installation Conditions and Requirements
- Entries must be complete luminaires ready for specification. Judges will not evaluate replacement lamp products or modules that must be combined with other products before they can be specified.
- Complete luminaires must include all components necessary to mount the luminaire and to connect to the building wiring. Ground mounted equipment (e.g. bollard) must be able to stand on its own without additional foundations or other means of support. Structure mounted luminaires must be able to be mounted on standard junction boxes and/or be supplied with mounting hardware. Pole mounted luminaires must include mounting hardware. Specific installation details by application will be communicated to entrants prior to the product submittal deadline.
- Entrants must submit 1 production-quality luminaire suitable for in-situ installation. The required voltage of the installed luminaire by application is listed in the Application Targets and Technical Requirements table; 'cord and plug' requirements are also listed. No 277V installations require a cord in plug. Control features (if available) will be evaluated on installed entries with the VTTI controller; entries need to be submitted with a 0-10V driver. To connect the VTTI controller to the submitted luminaire, VTTI will insert the controller between the connection terminals and the driver. VTTI will also need a place to connect 0-10 control lines. If there is space within the luminaire, VTTI will place their controller within the luminaire, otherwise the controller will be temporarily externally mounted. Please reference the VTTI controller documentation.
For complete competition details, see the NGL SSL Outdoor Design Competition 2012 Entrant Guide.